Ready to explore
Junior kindergarten students at Fredericksburg Academy learn through play in the classroom and in the natural world, to be best prepared for the next step in their education.
All classrooms in our Lower School use this research-based teaching approach, which is based on the idea that children learn best when they have both academic and social-emotional skills. Responsive Classroom's guiding principle is that knowing the children we teach is as important as knowing the content we teach. Each class activity helps children learn the skills of cooperation, assertion, responsibility, empathy, and self-control.
- Five-day/full-day program (8:30 a.m. - 3:20 p.m.)
- Lead teacher and associate teacher in each class
- 16 students maximum per classroom
- Language arts, math, science, and social studies are taught using thematic units
- Children attend music and movement, art, physical education, Spanish, and library and technology classes, as well as participating in nature/gardening activities
- Participate in school traditions and have many opportunities to be connected to the greater school community
- Perform three times on stage for parents and the FA community
Fredericksburg Academy Early Childhood School Checklist
Interested in downloading our free checklist and learning about the 14 essential qualities of a great Early Childhood school? Get started by clicking below!