Where the journey begins
The prekindergarten experience at Fredericksburg Academy is like no other. Our faculty ignite the natural curiosity and wonder of these three-year-olds through play-based learning. Prekindergarten students are part of the school community and have the same opportunities as their older peers, from foreign language instruction to performing onstage in the Upper School Reed Theater.
All classrooms in our Lower School use this research-based teaching approach, which is based on the idea that children learn best when they have both academic and social-emotional skills. Responsive Classroom's guiding principle is that knowing the children we teach is as important as knowing the content we teach. Each class activity helps children learn the skills of cooperation, assertion, responsibility, empathy, and self-control.
- Full-week, partial-week, full-day, and half-day options available
- Lead teacher and associate teacher in each class
- 14 students maximum per classroom
- Curriculum designed to build social skills, increase confidence, and teach age-appropriate concepts through play
- Weekly enrichment schedule including music and movement, art, physical education, foreign language (French and Spanish), and library class, as well as participating in nature/gardening activities
- Participation in school traditions and many opportunities to be connected to the greater school community
- Three opportunities to perform on stage for parents and the FA community