Where the journey begins
The Early Childhood experience at Fredericksburg Academy is like no other. Our faculty ignite the natural curiosity and wonder of Prekindergarten and Junior Kindergarten students through play-based learning. Early Childhood students are part of the school community and have the same opportunities as their older peers, from foreign language instruction to performing onstage in the Upper School Reed Theater.
All classrooms in our Lower School use this research-based teaching approach, which is based on the idea that children learn best when they have both academic and social-emotional skills. Responsive Classroom's guiding principle is that knowing the children we teach is as important as knowing the content we teach. Each class activity helps children learn the skills of cooperation, assertion, responsibility, empathy, and self-control.
Language Arts - Embrace the use, value, and wonder of language.
Math - Engage mathematical concepts throughout each day.
Science - Use the scientific method to explore the world through inquiry-based activities.
Social Studies - Develop independence, empathy, and collaboration as well as cultural awareness and respect for others.
Art - Build an appreciation for visual art by creating it in many forms.
Spanish - An immersive study through engaging activities students enjoy and understand such as stories, songs, games, and poems.
Library - Cultivate and nurture students’ growing love for books.
Music - Explore choral and instrumental technique in a group setting.
Physical Education - Create healthy habits to last a lifetime.
Enter text here.
Five-day/full-day program (8:30 a.m. - 3:20 p.m.)
- Lead teacher and associate teacher in each class
- 7:1 Average student-to-teacher ratio
- Curriculum designed to build social skills, increase confidence, and teach age-appropriate concepts through play
- Weekly enrichment schedule including music and movement, art, physical education, Spanish, and library class, as well as participating in nature/gardening activities
- Participation in school traditions and many opportunities to be connected to the greater school community
- Three opportunities to perform on stage for parents and the FA community
No matter where you are in your search, knowing what makes a great preschool is beneficial.